Lead Paint Assessments

Lead Paint Sampling and Risk Assessments

Lead in paint, and the contaminated dust it generates, is a significant source of lead toxicity, and is an important occupational and public health issue. Lead paint/dust presents a risk to health if it is ingested or inhaled.

The use of lead-based paints in New Zealand homes, a practice common until the 1980s, has left a legacy of problems, especially when it comes to repainting and redecorating. Stripping off any paint containing lead can create a serious health hazard, not only for the person doing the job but for the building’s occupants and neighbours – and particularly children.

ACA can identify lead paint and dust in your home by taking samples to be analysed in a laboratory. A risk assessment will also be conducted to determine recommended control strategies. It is generally recommended that lead-containing dust be removed, however lead paint may be left in-situ or overpainted if it is in good condition. Lead paint and dust should always be removed prior to refurbishment or demolition works though, in order to avoid disturbance and exposure potential. ACA can also offer advice to home and business owners regarding appropriate removal/control strategies.